Group Medical Visits
A focus on health and well-being
Integrative Health Group Visits at Hennepin Healthcare are a fulfilling way to approach your care with a focus on health and well-being from a holistic, integrative, functional medicine perspective. Sharing these appointments among a community of people can result in more confidence, provide more time for questions and dialogue, build upon self-care and learn new mind-body skills, and mindfulness practices and extend the care received in a “one-on-one” patient-provider visit. The integrative providers at Hennepin Healthcare offer several Group Medical Visit series on topics where you can participate in a new way of taking charge of your health and well-being.
Continuing Health and Wellbeing Monthly Drop-In | Kara Parker, MD
- Explore various evidence-based and integrative therapies and healing practices including cultural and spiritual care topics and perspectives with guest providers.
- Once a month drop-in appointments, 1st or 2nd Monday evening as noted on the flyer from 5:45 – 7:45 pm.
- Offered Monthly a Drop-In Group Medical Visits, online via Zoom through MyChart until further notice.
Growing Resilience in Chronic Pain | Kate Shafto, MD
- Offered through the Interventional Pain Clinic, and at the CSC.
- Various topics that impact pain, and guest providers sharing tools and skills for pain management by strengthening your resilience.
- Eight – weekly in-person visits Thursday afternoon appointment series from 2:00 – 4:00 pm begins May 12 – June 30.
Tame Your Pain Beyond Medication | Sue Haddow, MD
- Learn about managing pain from several perspectives including integrative, function medicine.
- Six – weekly Tuesday afternoon appointment series from 1:30 – 3:30 pm begins June 14 – July 19.
Blood Sugar Balance: Living with and Preventing Diabetes & Heart Disease with Integrative Medicine | Stefanie Stevenson, MD
- Blood sugar balance plays an important role in these chronic conditions.
- Eight – weekly, Thursday morning appointment series online via Zoom through MyChart from 10 am – Noon, begins June 16 – August 18 (skip July 7 and 28).
Staying Healthy: Recovering and Regaining Health from COVID-19 | Kara Parker, MD
- For those with Long-Haulers/Post-Acute Sequelae of SARS-COVID 2 Infection (PASC)
- Support with learning about and practicing lifestyle changes to function at your best for a fuller recovery.
- Seven – weekly, Wednesday morning appointment series online via Zoom through MyChart from 10 am – Noon, September 28 – November 9.
Rest and Renewal Lifestyle | Kara Parker, MD
- Explore integrative therapies and healing practices for stress management, nutrition, sleep, movement and connection as we look at the importance of rest and renewal from a whole person, functional medicine perspective.
- Five – weekly, Wednesday morning appointment series in person or online via Zoom through MyChart from 10 am – Noon, begins November 16 – December 14, 2022.
Life Beyond Cancer | Stefanie Stevenson, MD
- Explore integrative therapies and healing practices for recovery from cancer and on-going resilience with health and wellbeing.
- Eight – weekly, online via Zoom through MyChart Thursday morning appointment series from 10 am – Noon begins September 22 – November 14, 2022.
What happens in a Group Visit?
A group visit is just like a visit with your doctor/provider. The difference is that the visit is with a group of people (average 10 – 16) together seeing the doctor/providers. Group Visits are about focusing on your health and wellness goals as it relates to your conditions and health concerns. In these longer appointments (1.5 – 2 hours), you can ask questions of the providers and learn from each other in the group and get support from your community. Each visit includes facilitated mindfulness and mind-body skills practices for wellbeing which you may choose to practice at home.
Schedule Group Visit Appointments if you:
- are a registered patient with Hennepin Healthcare (you do not have to have your primary doctor in the Hennepin Healthcare system. Call 612-873-8048 to register with Hennepin Healthcare.)
- are interested in holistic, integrative and functional health and wellbeing support
- want community support from others, are able to manage being in a small group setting and plan to attend all appointments
- are covered by Medicaid/Medicare, Medical Assistance, Hennepin Healthcare / Hennepin County employee plans. Co-pays and deductibles apply similarly to a one-on-one level 2, 3 or 4 primary doctor’s visit. Check with your insurance provider as to whether your insurer covers seeing a primary provider at Hennepin Healthcare.