Interventional Cardiology Fellowship
Training in a public and a tertiary cardiology referral hospital setting
Clinical research opportunities with two dedicated foundations
About Our Program
The Interventional Cardiology Fellowship offers outstanding clinical training and research at its dual-site program, showcasing a full range of cardiovascular services and patient pathology.
Our fellows rotate at Hennepin Healthcare and at the Minneapolis Heart Institute® of Abbott-Northwestern Hospital, tertiary cardiology referral and research center. Our fellows work one-on-one with practicing faculty, using the latest technology to treat patients.
Training far exceeds many other interventional training programs
Since we offer two fellow positions, individual attention and experience far exceed many other interventional fellowship programs. Working together, we train interventional cardiologists with superb clinical skills, a lifelong commitment to learning, and the ability to function as leaders in their medical communities.
Hennepin Heart Center Facts
The Hennepin Heart Center operates within the main Hennepin Healthcare downtown campus. We provide complete cardiovascular services to a diverse population that includes urban and underserved individuals as well as critical care patients from across Minnesota.
- A premier Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center
- State-of-the-art fully digital interventional lab with a high percentage of acute percutaneous coronary interventions.
- Cardiothoracic surgery and peripheral vascular disease programs
- Access to one of the nation's top nonprofit research institutions, the Minneapolis Medical Research Foundation
Minneapolis Heart Institute Facts
Formed in 1981, the Minneapolis Heart Institute® at Abbott-Northwestern Hospital is a tertiary cardiology referral and research center founded by several independent groups of heart specialists.
- An internationally recognized leader in heart and vascular care
- Serves more than 70,000 patients annually
- Over 60 physicians and 650 staff
- Primary referral center for more than 100 clinics and 11 hospitals in Minnesota
- Features an advanced heart failure and transplant program
- Selected as one of only seven "Centers of Excellence" by the Cardiovascular Cell Therapy Research Network
- Operates a companion, nonprofit research foundation, the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation
What Sets Us Apart?
Clinical research opportunities.
Our fellows learn and conduct clinical research as a key component of their education. Both organizations host active research programs and maintain their own research foundations.
Individual attention and leadership.
Admitting two fellows per year offers unprecedented learning and leadership opportunities.
Cutting-edge equipment and procedures.
Our interventional cardiology fellows can expect a broad experience of coronary pathology from >4000 diagnostic cases, >1900 PCI (including >100 CHIP cases) per year between both centers.
Our facilities and our curriculum integrate the latest technology.
Potential for structural heart interventional fellowship.
One fellow will be given the opportunity to apply for the second year of training that specializes in structural heart disease interventions. Over 450 structural interventions are performed annually, consisting of the most complex procedures available commercially and under research study.
Commitment to education.
Nearly 300 physicians study with us each year as residents, fellows, and medical students. After 40 years of educating cardiovascular specialists in partnership with the University of Minnesota Medical School, we launched our own Interventional Cardiology Fellowship in 2015.
Applications Due December 30
Your application must include:
- Medical School Diploma
- USMLE Scores
- Personal statement
- Submission: Submit your application through the Electronic Resident Application System(ERAS). We do not accept applications through the mail. Hennepin Healthcare participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
- Interviews: Applicants selected to interview will be notified via email. Interviews are held on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from mid-November through mid-January.
About Our Facility
Fellows rotate primarily at the Minneapolis Heart Institute and at Hennepin Healthcare to experience firsthand the day-to-day operations of a major public hospital and a tertiary cardiology referral and research center practice.