Did you know that:
- One–third of adults ages 65 years old or older who live in their home fall each year?
- 10% of people who fall get a serious injury?
- You are 3 times more likely to need to go to a nursing home after a fall even if you do not get injured?
- You are 10 times more likely to need to go to a nursing home after a fall if you have a serious injury?
Risk factors for falls
You are more likely to fall if:
- You have already fallen in the past.
- You are not steady on your feet or are not strong.
- You are taking more than 4 different medicines.
- You are taking medicines or drugs that cause changes in your mood, behavior, or level of alertness. Some examples of these types of medicines or drugs are:
- Sleeping pills
- Illegal drugs
Visit the Senior Care Falls Clinic
We have physicians who specialize in the care of older adults. Older adults are more likely to fall and there are parts of your medical history that may increase your chances of falling. The Falls Clinic is located in the Senior Care Clinic at Parkside Professional Center. You or your loved one may be referred to the Falls Clinic to help you see how your chances of falling may be reduced. Hennepin Healthcare wants you to stay safe and learn how to avoid falls.
We see patients for 1-2 visits to conduct a comprehensive evaluation of fall risk factors to develop a comprehensive plan for fall prevention. We sometimes conduct a home visit as part of the evaluation.
A doctor who will ask you questions about your health and lifestyle to get a complete picture of your fall risk. The doctor will do an exam to see if there are things that may put you at a higher risk of falling.
Topics your doctor will cover:
- History of falls or near falls
- Medicines you are taking including any herbal supplements
- Walking and balance
- Vision problems acuity
- Age 62 or older
- Fell in the last year OR has a fear of falling OR is a high fall risk
- Community-dwelling (not living in assisted-living facilities or nursing homes)