Kate Diaz Vickery, MD, MSc
Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“I am committed to supporting patients and families to achieve and maintain optimal health. I believe this happens best when patients, families, and multi-disciplinary care teams work together to co-produce health. Ideally, healthcare works together with social services, housing, public health, education, employment, and other sectors of the community to produce the conditions necessary to support good health for all.”
Dr. Vickery is board-certified in family medicine and specializes in the care of people experiencing homelessness. She enjoys working to achieve patient and family goals and aligning healthcare with those goals. Dr. Vickery conducts research to improve health equity in partnership with diverse stakeholders through the Health, Homelessness, and Criminal Justice Lab at Hennepin Healthcare Research Institute. She has a particular focus on how the health care system can better support people experiencing homelessness living with diabetes and other chronic diseases.
- Vickery KD, Shippee ND (co-first authors), Menk J, Owen R, Vock DM, Bodurtha P, Soderlund D, Hayward R, Davis MM, Connett J, Linzer M. Integrated, accountable care for Medicaid expansion enrollees: A comparative evaluation of Hennepin Health. Medical Care Research and Review. 2018. DOI: 10.1177/1077558718769481.
- Vickery KD, Shippee ND (co-first authors), Guzman-Corrales LM, Cain C, Manser ST, Walton T, Richards J, Linzer M. Changes in quality of life among enrollees in Hennepin Health, a Medicaid expansion ACO. Medical Care Research and Review. 2018. DOI: 10.1177/1077558718769457.
- Vickery KD, Bodurtha P, Winkelman TNA, Hougham C, Owen R, Legler MS, Erickson E, Davis MM. Cross-sector service use among high health care utilizers in Minnesota after Medicaid Expansion. Health Affairs. 2018; 37(1). DOI: 10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0991 * Paper chosen as a top article in 2018 by the editor (see: 10.1377/hblog/20190110,783396).
- Vickery KD, Shippee ND, Bodurtha P, Guzman-Corrales L, Reamer E, Soderlund D, Abel S, Robertshaw D, Gelberg L. Identifying homeless Medicaid enrollees using enrollment addresses. Health Services Research. 2018; 53(3). DOI: 10.1111/1475-6773.12738.
- Sandberg S, Erickson C, Owen R, Vickery KD, Shimotsu ST, Garrett NG, Johnsrud KA, Soderlund DM, DeCubellis J. Hennepin Health: A safety-net Accountable Care Organization for the expanded Medicaid population. Health Aff. 2014; 33(11):1975-1984. DOI: 10.1377/hlthaff.2014.0648Vickery KD, Guzman-Corrales L, Owen R, et al. Medicaid expansion and mental health: A Minnesota case study. Fam Syst Health. 2016;34(1):58-63. doi:10.1037/fsh0000186.
- Sandberg S, Erickson C, Owen R, Vickery KD et al. Hennepin Health: A safety-net Accountable Care Organization for the expanded Medicaid population. Health Aff. 2014; 33(11):1975-1984.
- University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, USA
- Family Medicine, United Family Medicine/Allina, St. Paul, MN, USA
- Health Services Research, Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Media, Newsletters and Videos
- Research in health, homelessness, and criminal justice, Hennepin Healthcare Research Institute
- National Health Care for the Homeless Council
- Minnesota and American Academy of Family Physicians
- North American Primary Care Research Group
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical School
- Clinician Investigator, Hennepin Healthcare
- American Board of Family Medicine
- Minnesota Medical License
- 2020 Top Doctor Award: Rising Stars Edition
- New Investigator Research Award, North American Primary Care Research Group, Nov. 2019
- Invited fellow, Health Equity Leadership Mentoring Program, University of Minnesota, Sept., 2018-May, 2019
- Invited fellow, Summer Research Institute, National Institute for Minority Health and Health Disparities, August 2016
- House Resolution Honoring Healthy West 7th Initiative, Minnesota State House of Representatives, 2012
- Paper of Greatest Interest, Resident Division, Minnesota Academy of Family Physicians (MAFP) Research Forum, 2011
- Medical Society of the State of New York Community Service Award, 2008
- Gold Foundation Humanism Honor Society Inductee, 2008
“I was raised in Hennepin County and am happy to call the Twin Cities home. My family and I enjoy spending time outside camping and growing our own fruits and vegetables – especially our Siberian kiwi vines which produce grape-like fruits! I also love reading great books, and traveling.”