Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“My goal is to improve the health and well being of each and every patient. I believe that patient education is the foundation of improving each patient’s health. I strive, at each opportunity, to improve patient understanding of the disease processes with which they are confronted and the treatment options available to them. With this understanding, I can work collaboratively with each patient to formulate the best treatment plan.”
Dr. Kohl specializes in both interventional cardiology and general cardiology. As an interventional cardiologist, Dr. Kohl is focused on the development of a radial access program for all types of coronary angiography and percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI/stenting). His areas of interest within interventional cardiology include optimization of systems of care for STEMI, rational application of FFR-guided PCI, invasive lesion assessment, high-risk intervention including left main PCI and rapid triage and treatment of cardiogenic shock. Dr. Kohl is trained in invasive treatment of peripheral arterial disease (claudication) and catheter-directed treatment of submassive pulmonary embolism. As a general cardiologist, Dr. Kohl has special interest in treatment of patients with history of coronary artery disease (CAD), risk stratification and prevention for patients with increased risk for CAD and the application of novel oral anticoagulants in the setting of atrial fibrillation.
- Kohl LP and Jones WS. Management of cardiogenic shock in the setting of ST-elevation myocardial infarction: controversies and future directions. Minerva Cardioangiol 2015; 63(4): 329-342.
- Kohl LP, Garberich RF, Yang H, Sharkey SW, Burke MN, Lips DL, Hildebrandt DA, Larson DM and Henry TD. Outcomes of Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in St-Segment Myocardial Infarction Patients with Previous Coronary Bypass Surgery. J Am Coll Cardiol Intv 2014; 7: 981-987.
- Kalra A, Kohl LP, Asinger RW, Bachour FA, Van Camp JR, Ayenew W and Bart BA. Aorto-Right Atrial Fistula at Aortotomy Site Following Surgical Myectomy. Echocardiography 2013; 30: E300-301.
- Kohl, LP, Shroff GA and Herzog CA. Understanding Risks Associated with Chronic Kidney Disease: Translating Observational Data to Patient Care. Clin Chem. 2013; 59: 876-879.
- Hsue, PY, Scherzer R, Grunfeld C, Nordstrom SM, Schnell A, Kohl LP, Nitta E, Martin JN, Deeks SG and Weis EJ. HIV Infection Is Associated With Decreased Thrombin Generation. Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54: 1196-1203
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
- Cardiovascular Disease, Minneapolis Heart Institute and Hennepin Healthcare, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Interventional Cardiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
- American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association
- Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Intervention
- Board certified in Internal Medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine
- Board certified in Cardiovascular Disease by the American Board of Internal Medicine
- Board certified in Interventional Cardiology
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
- Chief Fellow of the Hennepin County Medical Center and Minneapolis Heart Institute Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Program from 2013-2014
“I enjoy visiting the downtown Minneapolis Farmer’s Market, cooking and exploring the backroads around the Twin Cities on my road bike.”