Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
“My commitment to patient care has been to make the patient and their family/ caregiver the primary focus. Often medical conditions are best treated with a multidisciplinary team. Awareness and inclusion of those disciplines is the strength of our approach at Hennepin Healthcare. I always ensure that the patient participates as much as possible in making choices that are right for them.”
Dr. Zera has surgical expertise in general surgery, trauma surgery, and surgical oncology. He is a recognized “Top Doctor” for the care and treatment of benign and malignant breast disease. He is dedicated to the multidisciplinary care of all cancer patients and has helped lead the certification of Hennepin Healthcare by the Commission on Cancer and National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
- Starchook M, Nygaard RM, Zera RT: A case of fat necrosis of the breasts associated with central venous occlusion related to dialysis access. Breast J 21(5):549-50, 2015.
- Johnson AT, Guo X, Nygaard RM, Zera RT: Trends in incidence, patient characteristics, and management of lobular carcinoma in situ. Cancer Res 76:P5;17-11, 2016.
- Johnson AT, Henzler C, Klein M, Cameron S, Richter J, Al Rawi S, Gruenberg J, Nasir A, Shahi M, Sell E, Schwertfeger KL, Zera RT, Nelson AC: RNA-Seq of pleomorphic and classic lobular carcinoma in situ identifies significant differences in gene expression indicating pleomorphic LCIS resembles luminal B-type breast cancer. Modern Path 29:S2; 48A, February 2016.
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Surgery, Hennepin Healthcare, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Surgical Oncology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY, USA
- State Chairman (Minnesota), Commission on Cancer, Cancer Liaison Program
- Minnesota Cancer Alliance Steering Committee
- Minnesota American Cancer Society Board of Directors
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- American Society for the Study of Breast Disease
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- American Medical Association
- Minnesota Medical Association
- Minneapolis Surgical Society
- Roswell Park Surgical Society
- Hitchcock Surgical Society
- Society of Medical Endoscopy and Ultrasonography, Republic of Moldova (Honorary)
- Board Member, American Cancer Society
- Chief, Section of Surgical Oncology
- Director, General Surgery Residency Program
- Board Certified in General Surgery
- Principal Investigator, Metro Minnesota
- Director of Surgical Endoscopy
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota
- Fellow, American College of Surgery
- Advanced Trauma Life Support Instructor
- Cancer, Hennepin Healthcare Research Institute
- Outstanding Commission on Cancer State Chair, 2016
- Spirit of Hope Award, American Cancer Society, 2018