Integrative Pain Management
A holistic approach to chronic pain
Integrative pain management addresses chronic pain with a holistic approach and consists of:
- Individualized prescriptions around nutrition, sleep, nervous system regulation techniques, emotional and mental health, and your environment. This is often called "integrative pain management", integrating a person's lifestyle, choices, and healing resources into the management of their health.
- Non-opioid pain management strategies using lifestyle-based prescriptions for living better with pain.
- Patient empowerment and education on pain management
- Group medical visits for patients with chronic pain focused on education, self-management strategies through group support and engagement
- Referrals to treatments such as acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, and functional medicine as appropriate
- Herbs, supplements or non-opioid medications when appropriate, working within what is safe, effective and evidence-based for each person.
Kate Shafto, MD, FACP, FAAP, is certified in Integrative Medicine with a specialty in Pain Management.